"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio

This review is spoiler free!!

My rating: 4/5 stars

Krissy is a popular high school athlete when she finds out she's intersex. This causes her to reevaluate everything she think she knows about herself. This book explores an issue that's only recently getting more attention. This is still a condition that lots of people don't understand very well. I knew a bit about it, but I learned a lot more from this book. 

A book about a sensitive issue like this could come across as really preachy, but it doesn't. It's easy to identify with Krissy as she explores who she is and what gender means to her. This book explores big issues but it doesn't seem forced on you. The reactions of some of Krissy's classmates and friends will make you want to scream, mostly because of how realistic they are - I can totally imagine teens reacting that way and it's sad. Luckily, there's some positive reactions as well that will warm your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment