"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Friday, September 12, 2014

Anatomy of a Misfit by Andrea Portes

This review is spoiler free!!


My rating: 5/5 stars


I thought this would just be some fluffy ya contemporary. Holy fuck was I wrong! This book was so much better than I expected. So much more powerful and emotional. This book deals with so many issues. Popularity, bigotry, abuse. And it still manages to be mostly funny because Anika is funny. 

Anika is the third most popular girl at school. Her best friend Shelli is second most popular and her frenemy Becky is the most popular girl. Becky is a bitch. She's a bully just because she can be. Why would Anika and Shelli stay friends with her? Well, because if they're friends with her, they're not the ones getting bullied. 
"Look, if we cross Becky, forget it. She'll turn on us and it'll be, like, vicious. You know it will. It'll be like two seconds before I'm a total prostitute and you're like . . . the n-word."  
" The n-word?"
"Yup, the n-word. And she'll, like, add something. Like she'll call you a . . . a vampire n-word." 
See, the reason Anika can never be most popular is because she's half-Romanian. And the reason Shelli can't be is because she's a slut. 

On the first day of school, nerd Logan comes back with a hot new look. Anika is intrigued, but he's still a nerd. They end up kind of seeing each other, but no one can know or Becky would kill her. And then enter the popular guy, who Anika doesn't like as much as Logan, but who would ensure her popularity and safety from Becky. The plot seems predictable, but it's really not. I'm not going to give anything away, but I did not see the end coming. It just hit me with bunches of feels out of nowhere!!

I admit that I got a little freaked out in the beginning when Anika referred to Shelli as a slut. I hate slut-shaming. But there's really not any shaming. Anika and Shelli's friendship was awesome. They truly care for each other and support each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment