"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater


This review is spoiler free!!

Ever since I finished the Shiver trilogy ages ago, I wanted more Cole and more Isabel. I never thought it would actually happen!! Cole is so delightfully crazy/quirky/neurotic. And Isabel is just so perfectly bitchy. 

I love Cole, but I loooove Isabel! Seriously, she's so awesome:

I didn't want to feel like I was the only person in the world who hated people.

Sofia began to cry which was exactly why I generally tried to avoid being a human. 

"Chop-chop," Isabel suggested, her voice so cool that a nearby semitropical plant dropped dead.

Okay, I guess this is the part where I admit that I love her so much because I can totally identify - I tend to be a tad unemotional and people are generally annoying. Anyway, Isabel is the best! 

It is not necessary to know or remember much from the Shiver trilogy. Some things are referenced, but not many specific events. Sam and Grace make brief phone appearances. I think you could read this book without even having read the trilogy.  

While this book is technically paranormal (since Cole is a werewolf), it reads much more like a ya contemporary. Which is exactly what I've been in the mood for lately. It's less about werewolves, and a lot more about how damaged both Cole and Isabel are and whether or not they're too damaged to be together. Cole loves Isabel but he's struggling with his sobriety. Isabel loves Cole, but she's not convinced that love ever lasts. The book is told in alternating POVs, which is done very well - there's no way you'll get confused as to who is narrating a chapter. And it's lovely to see inside both their heads. 



(note: quotes were taken from an arc and may have changed in the final printing)

No comments:

Post a Comment