"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Professional by Kresley Cole

This review is spoiler free!!

Okay, so this is not the kind of book that I would usually read: there's no evil government, there's no apocalypse, there's no vampires, there's nothing supernatural at all! This is just straight up erotica. With a lot of kink. But it's Kresley Cole and she's awesome so I had to give it a shot. Bottom line: if all erotica was this awesome, I'd read a lot more of it! 

First of all, the main character, Natalie, is getting her PhD in history with an emphasis in gender and sexuality. I'm getting my PhD in political science with an emphasis in the politics of sexuality. So I automatically love her. Oh and she's a self-proclaimed feminist, who's having some problems reconciling that with her new found desire for bdsm.
"It doesn't seem very progressive of me to get off on what we did. He ordered me around and basically trussed me up like a Thanksgiving turkey.""Visual, Nat, visual. Now my fap, fap, fap fodder is no more. Anyway, I'm of the feminist school of thought that says 'If mama like, then mama fucking do.' Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are too."I sighed. "I am."
And while she enjoys Sevastyan bossing her around in the bedroom, she refuses to allow it in any other aspect of their lives.

She has a hilarious bff who she still manages to keep in contact with even though her everything is being turned upside down and she's whisked halfway across the world. And there's absolutely no slut-shaming. Even though Natalie is a virgin (ugh, I know!), she doesn't judge her best friend Jess for being <i>very</i> sexually active.
"Seriously, you have no idea how much your situation is affecting me I've been stress-eating my way across Greece."I frowned. "You don't stress-eat-""Cock, Natalie. I was stress-eating cock. There, you made me say it, happy now?""Opa!"
You go Jess! 


The plot is there. It's believable enough I suppose. But, this is erotica - the plot is not the point. If you're looking for some well-written smut, this is it!

No comments:

Post a Comment