"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

This review is spoiler free!!

This was a good, quick read. Mia is in a car accident and essentially has an out of body experience. She then has to decide whether she should try to stay alive or if she should go. Her family died in the car accident, so it's understandable that she'd want to just go. She was close to her family, as we see through flashbacks. 

Most of the book is flashbacks. The flashbacks are where you learn about Mia, about her family, about her best friend Kim, about her boyfriend Adam. Most of the flashbacks are sweet and somewhat emotional. But they can be a bit scattered - jumping around from a month ago, to a year ago, to 10 years ago. 

For such an emotional concept, the book didn't make me feel a lot of emotion. Books make me cry easily. The saddest thing about this book was the concept, but the actual content didn't make me too emotional. This was good, but not great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment